Thursday 17 January 2019

Appointment kept, appointment deferred

I was up and breakfasting at seven this morning, ready for an early taxi ride to the Heath Hospital for an ultrasound cardiogram appointment at twenty to nine. The taxi dropped me off at the Gabalfa interchange and I walked the last half mile into the hospital, and arrived in good time for the scan. Unlike three years ago, it wasn't a cardiologist who did the job but a trained nurse, who would then send the report to the consultant. She didn't have much to say, and didn't comment on her findings. I will have to wait and see if there's a follow up to this procedure.

I walked back home via the big Tescos, where I stopped for a look around and bought a bargain SD card again. I've done this before, and now have three empty 16gb cards in stock, plus a couple of 8gb once that I try to recycle and keep in my wallet. I found on checking that when last I'd been able to sit comfortably to organise my SD archived storage, I'd stopped mid-job. It took me quite a while to figure out what my intentions had been at the time. Now that the Sony HX50 is dead, I decided to decant remaining photo files from a couple of 8gb cards to one 16gb card. When I get around to buying that replacement camera, I'll have a choice of empty new faster cards to use, just right for shooting video. Not that I've done that much, apart from music events. Thinking about that, I still have work to do on sound editing videos from the last Fountain Choir concert in St Catherine's - if I can figure out how to do it!

At lunchtime, we had our annual service visit from Matt, our gas heating engineer. The new system which we had installed last summer works well, and has been busier than usual these past months, as I've been feeling the cold more than usual, perhaps a consequence of losing weight since returning and fending off serious illness for so long. The operation should have been today. The new promised date is a month from today, if the surgical team keeps its promise. All I can do is be philosophical about it, recognise the huge competing demands on NHS time and resources, and live each with as much gratitude as I can muster.  

During my visit to Riverside Surgery for a wound dressing this afternoon, the regular District Nurse was accompanied by a student nursing assistant 'on observation'. It's the second time this week. On Monday it was a woman in her early twenties who'd recently returned from a year's internship in the Scilly Isles. Today it was a bearded young man from Wyoming in his early thirties, who'd come to Europe to work in Disneyland Paris a long time ago, and then decided to train as a nurse in the UK. I am getting to meet some interesting people in the course of treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment