Monday 7 January 2019

Domestic and digital chores

We went to the Parish Eucharist at St Catherine's yesterday morning. It was Fr Mark's last appearance there on a Sunday, as next Sunday there's a united Benefice farewell service at St Luke's, then he'll be moving house. At the end of the service the children and parents from Sunday Club came into church, all bubbly, over twenty kids from toddlers to junior school age. They presented him with a big pot plant, decorated with messages wishing him well - a delightful moment.

Kath and Anto have been sending us a series of photos of WhatsApp, taken at last night's fiesta de los Reyes in Tenerife, where they're having a well deserved respite from work. Meanwhile Owain is discovering all the minutiae involved in setting up home from scratch in his new flat. It's not yet in sufficient order for him to be willing to send us photos, but we look forward to that, as it may be a while before we can travel over to visit his new abode.

I had to get up quite often in the night, although I quickly fell asleep in between time, but maybe my sleep snatches weren't long enough to really refresh me despite nine hours in bed. After I got up, had breakfast and said morning prayer, I dozed off again for an hour. I felt I could have slept for longer, but had another visit to Riverside Health surgery for a wound inspection and dressing arranged for this afternoon. I felt better for walking there in the fresh air, and wasn't lacking in physical energy. It could be that my body is making up for months of continued stress and uncertainty. The wound is now stable and for the moment not deteriorating further, thanks to the Christmas gift of nursing care in situ. Each day this is the case, I'm most grateful for.

After the surgery visit I did the week's shopping before returning home, glad to be out and about. Clare has got used to having a Linux driven computer over the past month or so, but having an old style hard drive, although still quicker than a modern windows machine, I felt it could benefit more from having solid state drive instead. She had complained about the cramped keyboard layout on the Acer I'd replaced her HP machine with. Having already tried and tested the HP running Linux from a solid state hard drive, the easiest solution would be to return all her data to her user area and let her continue to use a device her fingers are more used to. That took about half an hour, copying to and from an external drive.

Then, I fitted another solid state hard drive into the Acer, installed Linux Mint and updated it in about half an hour. It's the second five year old laptop in the house that's running faster than either of the two Windows 10 machines half their age. I'll have to decide what I'm going to use this machine for, and if I really want to bother to install Mint to dual boot on the remaining Windows laptop, now that I've got a secure device I have confidence in, to use for tax and e-banking. Having said that the most used device with a proper keyboard remains the Chromebook on which I'm writing now. While it has some limitations, it's still the lightest and fastest computer I have. How I'd love to have a full Linux version running on this! But that's too big an ask at the moment. Glad finally to have had the energy to compete this digital chore today, good for the morale!

No comments:

Post a Comment