Saturday 26 January 2019

Update time, reflection time

Clare went to the gym just after seven this morning. I had a lie-in, dozing and listening to the radio for another three hours. It was an overcast and rainy day. I ventured out for some exercise after lunch but soon my rain jacket was soaked through, so I headed home, fed up with this  miserable weather. I miss Mediterranean mildness and blue skies.

At least it meant I could occupy myself, supervising the installation of updates to my Windows 10 computers. This invariably means an hour or so when they are unusable or running frustratingly slow, with a series of reboots, and sometimes security or software updates clashing with operating system updates to the detriment of all. It's a continuing shambles leaving hundreds of millions of dependent users frustrated and less than fully productive.

I keep promising myself to make the laptop a dual boot Linux Mint device, or else ditch Windows entirely. Keeping one Windows machine for legacy software usage seems necessary, albeit less so, now that the Cardiff Business Safe workload has dwindled to nothing. That's a sad tale of distrust and business intrigue, unworthy of everyone involved, including me. I simply ran out of patience with those clashing alpha male egos, and lost confidence that I could make a positive difference and build sound bridges of trust.

This may have something to do with the time several years ago when my present physical troubles first emerged. Work demands became less easy to manage and I had to disengage from day to day business affairs and relationships. Ultimately, however,if you don't garner enough of the right kind of active support for such an innovative voluntary social enterprise, failure is inevitable sooner or later, even if it is after ten years in operation. There's no point in lamenting about nobody caring enough, and taking things for granted. As my mother used to say "Don't care was made to care."
    

No comments:

Post a Comment