Saturday 5 January 2019

Purchase pondered

I hadn't arranged any weekend appointments, but had an unexpected visit from another member of the District Nurse team this morning. I learned that the team are treating a notable number of people with fistula wounds at the moment. I wonder why? I had a restful night, woke up refreshed, and have had little pain or discomfort again today, and that's great, even if it's not going to improve until I've had the operation. It's nice to know they are on my case.

We walked into town late in the afternoon, and looked at dishwashers in John Lewis' store, as we're thinking about buying a new one. Ours is sixteen years old, and its internal fitments are wearing out with age. We may still be able to get replacements for a long discontinued model, but we've no idea how long the heater or pump will last, even if we're successful. The maintenance people advise us to get a new one. It's something to think about while there are special offers in the New Year sales.

While we were there, I had a quick look at the tech' sale offers on pocketable superzoom cameras, as over the last month my Sony HX50 has begun to malfunction at startup time, requiring several tries switching on and off to work properly. I think there may be particles preventing the lens mechanism from opening cleanly and then generating an electronic malfunction. On odd occasional last year the images produced contained minor blemishes intermittently over a periods of time, symptomatic of dust penetrating internally. Nothing I suspect a good clean wouldn't cure, if I could do it. The cost of an expert repair could well be half the cost of a new camera.

I bought this February 2014, to take with me on duty to Fuengirola. I think I've taken around ten thousand photos with it since then. (Must check my archives!) I could buy a replacement at perhaps half the price I paid then, but the temptation is to buy the upgraded improved version - the HX95 - for much the same original price. Well, maybe. Let's see if what I can do about a cleanup first.

This evening, there was nothing much on telly that interested me or Clare, so I watched two episodes of Dr Who on BBC iPlayer catch-up instead. Interesting to note the high moral tone taken by the Doctor, interacting with all kinds of fearsomely dangerous alien life forms, even if the plots are mostly bizarre gobbledegook.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment