Wednesday 17 July 2019

Catching the moon

Last night, at the end of the ten o'clock news, the announcer encouraged viewers to go out side and catch a glimpse of the partial eclipse of the moon, which was just reaching maximum obscurity. We had to climb up to the loft bedroom to get a good view, as the moon rises and proceeds westwards almost along the line of the rooftop for several hours before ascending higher into the sky, at this time of year. I didn't have time to prepare well, so my pictures were no better than previously. I've a lot to learn about getting the best camera settings possible for low light and astronomical pictures, having relied on pre-sets and auto features for far too long. We suffer from haze and light pollution here in the city. Editing and processing don't improve things much, unfortunately.

This morning, I celebrated the Eucharist with half a dozen at St Catherine's, and did some shopping before returning for lunch. Late afternoon, a good six mile walk through the fields up to Llandaff and back along the Taff. I got a few curious bird photos, curious in the sense that I'm not sure if they are unusual gull species or immature birds. I've had a couple of glimpses of an egret, or maybe it was a little heron flying down the river, but not within range of a decent photo.

There's nothing much of interest on telly at the moment, which is just as well, since the long daily walks leave me wanting to go to bed early, struggling to stay awake saying evening prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment