Sunday 21 July 2019

White smoke day

Kath and Rhiannon arrived late Friday night to spend a few days with us. Rhiannon has finished school, done well in her end of year exams and passed her grade 5 flute exam. Now it's time for a little relaxation. They're excited about going to Crete for holiday in two weeks time. Yesterday, it was time for them to go pre-holiday shopping. I joined them in town, when they'd finished, and walked home with them through Bute Park.

We had a very nice take away evening meal from Stefano's, as I wasn't sure I could cope with two hours sitting in a restaurant at the moment. There was a mix up over Rhiannon's pizza order, which was confused with someone else's, and far too spicy for her, so we ended up with two pizzas, plus a third which Clare had got me to buy for her, when out shopping earlier in the day.

This morning, I was scheduled to celebrate and preach at the 9.00am in St John's. It's the first time, this year that I've been fit and able enough to offer to do an early service. This meant early rising to be sure I was ready to leave the house in good time, and all went well. In fact, I had half of one of last night's pizzas cold for breakfast, an unusual variation on routine, and it went down well.

I was slightly surprised that both Emma and Rhys turned up, expecting to minister as well. I call this 'rota disorientation', after so many months for the two of them, on the treadmill of taking services in three churches with the need to cover occasional absences filled either by me or another outside retired cleric. Besides there was Good News to be shared - the appointment of a new Team Rector, at last.

Last night Emma's husband Nick was on 'recovery' duty with Pidgeons, called out to an unexpected tragic sudden death of a teenager. Because of the circumstances, this took up most of the night so he didn't get home until four, disturbing for the whole household. So, having touched base with us, Emma went home to minister to Nick, before going on to celebrate and preach at St Catherine's.

Rhys made the Special Announcement, and deaconed for me and I presided and preached. It's a long time since I last did a service with another priest at the altar, several years. Frances Wilson, our new Team Rector is currently Director of Ordinands in Litchfield Diocese. At the moment we know nothing more about her, or when she'll be licensed. I'm not sure this is the appointment hoped for, but is perhaps to be expected from Bishop June. Nobody home grown in the Church in Wales good enough for the job? Is gender blindness or gender balance desirable in a small team? Some may be tempted to say.  Do these things matter any more anyway? The ultimate discernment rests with the Bishop, and I'm sure she'll have given it lots of thought, and chosen the best person for the job, as she had understood it. In the end, as with all of us in public ministry, 'by their fruits they shall be known'. 

Friends Jacquie, Gareth and Isabel came to lunch together with Kath and Rhi and ourselves. We had the main course in the garden, then when it started to spot with rain we moved indoors for ice cream and chocolate strawberries. Afterwards I started nodding off during the post prandial conversation, and ended up going to bed, instead of a walk in the park. It's not so much physical tiredness or pain that's hitting me at the moment, but emotional exhaustion and disquiet at the prospect of another battle with the NHS to get some justice done in relation to my treatment. If, when I returned from Montreux walking wounded, my already diagnosed complaint been dealt with more promptly, it would not have developed into a chronic condition requiring such extensive care.

No comments:

Post a Comment