Tuesday 9 July 2019

Word treasure

Fortunately, another day of lovely beach weather, and an opportunity for Ann and Clare to swim in the sea. That's something I am unwilling to risk doing until I am fully healed, but there's always plenty of interest to take photos of. We've noticed jellyfish washed up on every shore around here, and on Caldey as well. Their lifeless forms catch the sunlight, and bear a casual resemblance to a half inflated plastic bag. Tenby beaches are remarkably litter free. Beach visitors use the litter bins provided, but annoyingly, junk food foraging seagulls pull out the contents and scatter them around. I feel sorry for the waste disposal men who have to clear up the mess before taking rubbish away. It was the same in town after the Long Course events of the weekend. Their care for and pride in the environment they maintain is highly commendable.

In Caldey's bookshop yesterday, I found an interesting volume to bring home with me - a version of the Psalter rendered in 17 syllable Haiku verse form, by Richard Gwyn, a Priest-Monk of the Cistercian community. Hebrew poetic form makes use of rhythm, repetition and alliteration. It can be quite an elaborate way to make a simple point. Haiku by contrast is concentrated and punchy, suitable for meditating with. It's an impressive piece of work, so I bought a copy for me and one for Ann. 

In the afternoon, the Clare and Ann went shopping. I had a siesta before going for another walk along North Cliff. I've not been able to sleep as well as I'm used to, due to a bed that's too small for two people who need lots of sleeping space. Plus, the mattress surface was too soft for me, causing my wound to open up when I rolled over or got out of bed. I find that having quite a firm supportive surface is essential to avoid this kind of misery. Still, it continues to improve incrementally, as long as I can avoid setbacks of this nature.

We had a last picnic supper in our room rather than go out for a meal. And then, packing!


No comments:

Post a Comment