Sunday 28 July 2019

Pop-up in the park

The absence of noise from the outside renovation work yesterday was most welcome, so we enjoyed a lie-in and a late breakfast. Then I wrote a fresh sermon for tomorrow, and following a siesta we walked to Llandaff in the sunshine for tea and cake.

On BBC Four, another re-run episode of Inspector Montalbano in the evening. I wonder how long it will be before the final novel in this wonderful series by Andrea Camillieri is published, or the movie made for TV?  He wrote it years ago, instructing his publisher that it shouldn't be issued until after his death. One way or another it will be the end of Montalbano. Will he be killed off? Will he finally marry Livia and retire? Will they become foster parents, given the loss of the child they wanted to adopt in an early series? Happy ever after or not? The author has left us a lovely legacy of pure speculation while we wait.

This morning, I celebrated and preached as planned at St Catherine's. I did my daily walk as half a dozen circuits of Thompson's Park in the late afternoon. Since it came into the local news six months ago, we've been waiting to see the old park keeper's hut and toilets converted into a cafe. It's not yet fully developed, but this weekend, a pop-up cafe run by Lufkin, Pontcanna's local gourmet coffee purveyors, opened for the first time. This was just closing when I arrived, but I stuck my head around the kitchen door and wished them well. Thompson's Park is already a convivial place, as many young parents bring their kids to visit the duck pond, so this is a welcome enhancement.

On the way back I bumped into Fr Rhys, who'd just taken Holy Communion to Emma at home. Thankfully, she returned from hospital earlier, but is going to be off-grid recovering for a couple of weeks. This evening, following through on several emails about tomorrow's funeral, I prepared my order of service, to accommodate what the family had already agreed with Emma. Glad I'm free and fit to cover some of her duties at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment