Tuesday 30 July 2019

Happy Landings

This morning, Rachel landed at Heathrow after flying overnight from Phoenix. The plane was only half full, so she was able to stretch out on a row of central aisle seats and sleep much of the way. That's great news for getting through the time zone difference. She's travelling to Kenilworth to have a couple of days with big sister before they come here for the weekend.

Clare accompanied me to UHW for my appointment with Mrs Cornish the surgeon. She was twenty minutes late arriving, a very busy woman. But, it made me feel nervous that I'd been forgotten or displaced and not been told. The way I have been dealt with over the past nine months has left me with little confidence in the way things get done in this hospital. It's the way things are managed, and that has little to do with what the medics can and do deliver.  Mrs Cornish was aware I had been complaining, and understood why, without trying to make excuses. She is more aware of the problems that I will ever be. The important thing is - what happens next?

She thoroughly examined me and said that healing had continued satisfactorily, except for anomalies observed and mentioned, which she said would be dealt with in the next round of surgery at a date to be arranged in September. She needs to establish if there are any more tracks concealed in deep tissue, causing problems for wound closure. So, no early removal of the existing suture, as I'd hope, and maybe a spell with an additional one, before a fourth and hopefully final operation. There's no quick solution or easy exit, but if it's possible to know what's ahead as far as possible, some plans can be made. And that's better than being in limbo.

I went for a six and a half mile walk along the Taff in the afternoon. Slowly I'm improving my daily average, and I think it does me good, even if I'm dropping off before bed time.

No comments:

Post a Comment