Thursday 10 February 2022

The Buskers' Guide re-invented

Today's Morning Prayer video link got posted to WhatsApp a bit later than usual, as I fell soundly asleep again at seven when I woke up at eight fifteen. Clare had already left for an early swim, and I didn't hear her go. My erratic sleep pattern is something of a puzzle. I get as much as I need but not in any predictably routine way. I should be grateful for that, I suppose. 

There were nine of us at the Eucharist I celebrated at St John's. Over coffee afterwards mention was made of a big funeral procession from Splott causing a big traffic hold-up across town. I wondered if it was for a funeral at St Germans. but the local news report side it took place at Splott Catholic church. It seems that it was a Traveller funeral and these are often attended by large crowds of mourners, as I know from my own experience. Only today did I receive the fee cheque from the last one I took a fortnight ago, when the Funeral Conductor arrived without the church cheques, customarily handed over at the service. Talking of funerals, a request to do one on St David's day came in at lunchtime, nearly three weeks from now. Quite a contrast from such a busy January.

I cooked stir-fry veg with mussels and rice for lunch. Then, after we'd eaten drove to Penarth to get the 'Real Book' of lead sheets (jazz melodies plus chords) from the musical instrument store where Owain's sax was given a service. It's the modern equivalent of what Geoff my late brother-in-law used to call the Busker's Guide. Finally delivered Clare's belated Christmas present. I bought her the wrong kind of jazz tune book at Christmas, and she gave them to Kath who has started learning to play the piano. This book hits the spot, and gives her an even bigger range of jazz melodies to discover that ones she has already got to know, working her way through the family CD collection/ 

Mission accomplished, I went for a walk along the cliff-top before driving home. It was quite breezy with a rain cloud promising rain or even hail, but the wind seemed to blow mild and then cold gusts, as if two different masses of air were mixing. Anyway nothing developed, and I had a pleasant outing with even the hint of a rainbow among the clouds out across the Bristol Channel.

Just out of curiosity, I transferred the installation software for the negative scanner to a USB drive, and ran it on my desktop workstation. It worked OK up to a point, but needed a driver upgrade to complete the interface between scanner and computer, so it didn't work. I un-installed the software, as I couldn't find a way to obtain the driver upgrade, but maybe I'll have another go when I have nothing better to do. Meanwhile, the scanner works as well now on a thirteen year old desktop PC running Windows Vista as it did when I bought it. It's the only reason I keep the old machine, but it's be better if I could retire it completely, as it takes up space I could use better.

There wasn't much of interest on telly apart from the final ever episode of 'New Tricks' on Dave, which we watched together before turning in for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment