Saturday 19 February 2022

Convenience or Necessity?

Around seven this morning, Clare left to go for a swim. I got up nearly two hours later and started making a cooked breakfast for both of us: scrambled eggs and smoked salmon for Clare, bacon for me, toast and mushrooms for both of us, all ready by the time she came through the door at nine thirty. It made a change from habitual Saturday pancakes. I don't know how she manages to be up and out of the house so early!

I worked on my sermon for tomorrow until lunchtime, and in the afternoon we walked to Llandaff village to a visit to Jasper's Tea Room. A few more trees had big branches torn off by strong gusts of wind, and one was wrenched from the ground, exposing its roots - a tree still carrying enough withered foliage for it to succumb more easily to the force of high wind, and probably half alive, as some dead branches had broken off, as is commonly the case elsewhere. 

The Council's tree management team have been busy this past few days removing big branches and even trunks from park roads, but much of the timber will wait to be collected if not left to rot in situ.

Before supper I spent an hour or so updating my hard drive archive of photos first posted and edited on-line over the past month or so, a necessary chore, when my free on-line storage space is half to two thirds full. On-line is a convenience, home storage a necessity as far as I'm concerned, but too often convenience prevails over necessity, because I don't have time for it.

Talking of time, I found myself getting annoyed by the refusal of Windows 10 to display clock time in the 24 hours format, and my failure to find out how to tweak this in the established 'Settings' menu. Also getting Libre Office to display metric which I habitually prefer to imperial measure. Funny how some of the settings are remembered by default but not others. I googled the issue and came up with a response that was half correct. Only when I went under the skin of the Windows 10 Settings menu to the legacy settings menu that has been there since Windows XP, did I find the correct menu to effect the change. So many aspects of Windows ten are still cosmetic. It not properly integrated at all. I don't know why I put up with it, when there's Linux, except that, as ever Convenience prevails over necessity.

This evening I enjoyed reading another chapter of 'Invierno en Madrid' as there was nothing on telly to watch, having worked my way through all the episodes of 'La Promesse' this week, rather than stay up late for a double episode finishing just after eleven. I'd rather turn in earlier on a Saturday night these days, to make a fresh start to Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment