Tuesday 22 February 2022

Special gift

After a somewhat tense night's sleep, we were up and out of the house at twenty past eight to drive to St Joseph's hospital in Malpas, Newport for my eye appointment with Andrew. After an assortment of tests and scans he explained the cataract removal procedure, and even showed me the kind of tiny prosthetic lens that is used in the procedure after removal of the home grown one with cataract. It will be done as soon as St Jo's can fit me into his schedule, before or after he goes to Malawi in April to work for a month there, on behalf of the eye surgery charity he set up years ago. I feel humbled that he wants to do this for me pro bono. As a committed Christian he sees this as ministering to the ministers. What else can I say except thank you and thank God.

Clare drove back as the eye drops made my vision very blurry. It was mid afternoon before my sight was fully back to normal, and the sensation I had going for a walk around Thompson's Park before lunch was quite unsettling. Even so, the experience gave me a different approach to thinking about the mystery of the Transfiguration. After a brief siesta, I wrote my Transfiguration Sunday sermon, sitting in bed, although my eyes were still a bit blurry. An email came in from Fr Stewart assigning me Lenten duties in St German's, including the Easter Vigil Mass, which I'm pleased about, as I don't have a celebration on Easter Sunday at the moment. It means I'll be able to sing with Clare in the choir at St Catherine's instead.

There wasn't anything I wanted to watch on telly after supper, so I went to bed and read another chapter of 'Invierno en Madrid' instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment