Sunday 13 February 2022

Wet Sunday

It rained all night and only slowed to a stop about four this afternoon. The city centre was deserted when I drove to St German's to celebrate Mass. There were only twenty two of us present, and we were short of an altar server or two. The nine year old who acts as boat boy showed his mettle, holding the Gospel book for me to read from, and then ringing the Sanctus bell at exactly when needed, for the first time without needing to be prompted. It's lovely to see a shy youngster growing in confidence and happy to work with a couple of old guys in church. It does my heart good to see this. 

After the service I was chatting with Andrew, a consultant eye surgeon in the congregation. He's a really interesting guy who in his free time runs a medical charity which supports eye clinics and offers surgery to people in West Africa. He's asked me to go and see him in his private clinic in Newport, as he thinks he can deal with my cataract problem pro bono. This came about due to a casual remark I made about finding difficulty reading in church when there's thick low cloud like today and light contrast isn't strong enough, making text on paper hard to read. I might feel a little guilty about queue jumping with a two year waiting list for NHS operations, but I'd be so very grateful to see clearly again. Apart from this, my eyesight is quite good. I have specs to read, and for safer night driving, but don't need them for outdoors that much, apart from when I'm taking photographs, one of my great pleasures in my latter years.

Clare went off to her study group in Bristol after lunch, and when the rain slowed to a drizzle, I went out and walked for an hour and a half. The Taff was higher than I've seen it since last spring, right up over the fish trap and only a few inches from the footpath. There's more heavy rain to come this week. Will we see Pontcanna Fields flooded again? I wonder.
















After supper we watched this week's 'Antiques Roadshow' from Portchester Castle near Portsmouth. It was interesting because of family treasures shown, artefacts with second World War stories behind them. Later I watched this week's gripping episode of 'Trigger Point' about terrorism in London and a police bomb disposal team. I hope it doesn't give me nightmares!

No comments:

Post a Comment