Monday 28 February 2022

Conflict preoccupations

Another dull and rainy day. Clare, undaunted was on her way out for a swim just after seven. I stayed in bed listening to news about the war in Ukraine. Slowly information about the historical background is being included in the news. Ukraine was a Republic of the USSR, but centuries ago was part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth of States, and thus more permeable to Western European influence. Old Slavonic is the basis of Ukrainian and Russian languages, as well as Polish. Ukrainian and Russian are both understood  and spoken in Ukraine, so language is not a political issue. Historically, monarchic rule characterised Russia but not Ukraine where Cossack democratic self-government was predominant.

UNHCR reports today that the number of refugees now exceeds half a million. Amazingly, Switzerland whose banks are a favourite hideaway place for rich Russians to keep their money has decided to impose the same sanctions on Russia as the EU, stating that such flagrant violation of the Geneva Convention is intolerable. 

Both BP and Shell have announced disinvestment of Russian gas field holdings, following pressure from the public and shareholders. Putin's actions have succeeded in uniting European and American nations and spurring them into decisive action in a way he cannot have predicted, or has he completely lost the plot?

Meanwhile Russian forces advance slowly and brutally in the face of continuing strong resistance, although the advance seems to have been impeded as much by Russian logistic inadequacies as military resistance. Also it seems that Ukrainian military drones which the Russians have failed to take out of action have contributed effectively. But, Kharkiv a northern Ukrainian city close to the Russian frontier, has seen heavy fighting today and multiple civilian deaths. Fighting has continued around the country despite talks between Russians and Ukrainians being held.

When not listening to the radio, I spent the morning finishing and uploading this week's Morning Prayer video, and preparing tomorrow's funeral service. After lunch I decided to brave the rain and take my daily walk, but it took me half an hour to find my rain trousers before I could go out. Later, I realised I couldn't find the Sony HX90 camera I took to Kenilworth to photograph Rhiannon's birthday party with. I wanted to upload and share the photos, but forgot over the weekend. I have the camera case but not the camera. I haven't a clue what I did with it after I got back, only I do recall noting that it needed to be recharged, and only got around to finding the charger today, but that's all. What have I done with it?

Clare's former colleague Jacquie arrived in time for supper. She's staying overnight and going with Clare and Fran to the Steiner School tomorrow to present Fran's icon of St David to the school in a St David's Day celebration. Pity I can't attend, but unfortunately I'm busy tomorrow.

Today, the last of the controls relating to the covid crisis are being lifted in Wales, made optional rather than mandatory, but face masks are still obligatory in shops, public transport, health and care settings. It doesn't seem to include churches. As far as many are concerned its already not obligatory, as many folk no longer bother with masks where they should. Don't ask don't tell seems to be operational around the issue of asking anyone if they are exempt from face mask wearing for health reasons, so it's all a bit of a fiasco in my opinion.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment