Tuesday 1 February 2022

Impromptu lunch

After breakfast I drove to St German's for the school 'class Mass', standing in for Fr Stewart, summoned to a meeting with the Bishop. Clare was preparing to welcome her Tuesday study group as I left. I celebrated the feast of Candlemass with the children, and we sang a few songs. One teacher attending expressed her appreciation for the chance to sing as singing is still thought to be too risky for gathering in school. After the service I drank coffee and chatted with Angela, Hilary and Peter, whiling away the time until Clare's group left. 

Clare invited Fran and Mark to an impromptu lunch, so I improvised a veggie pasta dish for the four of us, while Clare tidied up and laid the table. Thankfully the sauce turned out just right, and also was just the right amount for four. Then we went for a walk in the park before parting company, and I kept walking for another hour to complete my daily quota.

Much to my bewilderment, my lost sock from two days ago turned up on the shoe stand in the hall. When I returned from walking on Sunday afternoon, I must have taken the stray sock, stuffed in an inside pocket and put it on the rack while I took the other one off, but the act was completely automatic and immediately forgotten, like when you lock the door on auto-pilot and need to go back and check because the memory of doing so didn't register as your mind was on other things already. As it write about the day almost every day, I have noticed that I can usually recall everything I have done but not necessarily in order. Sometimes I wake up remembering something I didn't add the night before - like this sock episode!

After supper, I returned to scanning negatives of family photos taken in the nineties, a whole roll of James shortly after his birth, at a family gathering, and half a dozen of Owain's eighteenth birthday. Yet another pleasant trip down memory lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment