Wednesday 9 February 2022

Lost watch found

I was in bed just after eleven last night, reading for three quarters of an hour before lights out, and didn't wake up until a quarter to nine this morning. I don't understand why I seem to need such a lot of sleep, nowadays. At least I didn't feel the need for a siesta after lunch. One way or another eight and a half hours a day seems to be what I need at the moment, no matter when I get it.

After breakfast Eucharist at St Catherine's with a dozen of us present. We're all of retirement age, but that is good in itself, showing confidence in resuming normal activity is returning. Getting back to normal on Sundays is happening more slowly, perhaps because less mobile people are happy to stay with on-line services. Mother Frances says that Canton on-line services have a far better than average attendance.  What this really means for the church in the diocese and its future in the face of catastrophic decline is too early to know or predict.

Several of us chatted at length over coffee after the service. Part of it was a discussion about the origins of the Pastoral Epistles in the New Testament. We've just begun to read them in the on-line Morning Prayer daily offering from the Parish. This made me think about the reflection I prepared last weekend for posting tomorrow. When I got back home I looked at it again, and decided to revise and re-record it. Easy, given the work done on audio and video components is still there on my laptop. It meant another hour's of revising and recording, but I was satisfied the reflection worked much better for doing this. Next week's texts arrived while working, so when one was finished I started writing another reflection on a 2 Timothy passage fitting well with the revision just made. By the evening I had next week's full audio track completed too. It felt like time well spent.

Clare cooked the last of Mr Berry's Christmas purchase of sausages for lunch which I worked. After I'd eaten I went and collected this week's organic veggie bag, and then went for a walk in the park before resuming recording next week's offering. Then a couple of favourite telly programmes after supper. The Repair Shop and Digging for Britain to inspire and amaze. 

The big amazement of the day however, was that my lost Casio digital watch re-surfaced. Ten days ago I realised it was missing and could only recall wearing it on a shopping visit to Aldi when I presumed it went missing, but not so! This morning I turned the mattress on my bed. Later when putting fresh linen on it once more, Clare found the watch on the floor by the wall. From this, I can only deduce that I took it off when on the bed, put it down on the duvet instead of  the usual tray. Then when I flipped the duvet it fell on the floor, but exactly when this happened will remain a mystery. Another instance of how the memory can play tricks on you.


No comments:

Post a Comment