Saturday 6 August 2022

Anniversary music making

The feast of the Transfiguration today, our 56th wedding anniversary. We have so much to be thankful for. I sent Clare an audio and a video WhatsApp message first thing. She responded with her first self recorded affort at playing Cole Porter's song 'Easy to love'. Just to see if I could, I played it back and sang an amended version of the lyrics into my voice recorder, and to my amazement it worked quite well, considering the studio conditions. We were both delighted with the result, thanks to WhatsApp and Audacity. Another ten days and we'll be together again!

It's also the 77th anniversary of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima, and despite the 'never again' sentiments expressed at the time there are now nine states in the world which have nuclear weapons, and tensions in international relationships in several directions are dangerously high. Nuclear weapons could get used by accident despite all the precautions we presume all nuclear states take to avoid this. All this, while global heating threatens to make the planet uninhabitable by the end of this century, due to the inability of people in power to make the necessary compromises and sacrifices to curb carbon emissions this involves. 

In the three and a half weeks I've been here, the occupants next door to the right haven't changed. They may be permanent residents. On the left side there have been at least five different sets of occupants staying for a few days at a time. This morning early I heard noises next door and for the first time, saw a young woman cleaning the terrace. It could be the house is let out on AirBnB, or maybe run by a hotel nearby for short term lets. As happens with the Oxwich Bay Hotel. I confess that I'm missing our short family sojourn there this year. We must go there for a few days this autumn. I prefer its wildness to the Costa del Sol's urban luxury. Mojácar with its nature reserve resembles Oxwich in some respects.

It started to cool down mid afternoon, so I walked down to Carrefour to buy some fruit and veg for to top up my supplies for the weekend. When I got back, and was working on a report at my desk, I had a call about a funeral service for a lady who died and was speedily cremated two weeks ago, a long term ex-pat resident living in sheltered accommodation. Originally the relatives were considering a date in September, but decided they couldn't wait that long, so the proposal now is to have a service on 21st August after the Sunday morning Eucharist at San Pedro. This is a day when I don't have to drive down to Sotogrande. So, part of the evening was taken up with putting together a service text and sending it to the next of kin for approval.

Then I went out for a sunset walk, and on the way back had a video call from Owain, who was visiting Clare. They'd been out to supper at 'La Cuina'. A nice touch on our wedding anniversary. Then, time to turn in early, for an early start tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment