Sunday 28 August 2022

Màlaga homecoming

Up at six thirty, putting a load of bed linen into the wash just after seven, then breakfast. By the time we left for San Pedro at nine, the sheets were on the line drying.

We were about two dozen for the Eucharist at San Pedro. I finished unhurried in good time to make my farewells and get on the road to Sotogrande. The child to be baptized in the service was three years old and clearly not feeling at ease in church, or maybe reflecting her parents' unease. She wasn't happy about the baptismal ritual and reacted to my attempt to sign her with the cross, so I asked her father to do this instead as it's permissible anyway. She howled in protest when I poured water over her head. 

It might have been different if her parents had brought her to church before her baptism day, but they didn't. Congregation members were pleased that we used the traditional font and not a bowl of water at the altar. Having a procession to the font was part of the process to my mind. Anyway, all ended well. I said my second set of goodbyes, and headed back to Estepona.

Clare had lunch ready when I arrived, and the second load of washing was already nearly dry. With everything packed, it was but a short time before Paul arrived with Patricia to had over the keys. Paul drove us to the bus station in good time for the five thirty coach to Málaga, arriving just after seven. We took a local bus from the estación de buses to the Paseo del Parque, and walked from there to Hotel Eliseo in La Malagueta, right next to the apartment block where I spent many months a few years back, where the chaplain now lives.

We went out for supper at the Central Bar Restaurant, and had a very pleasant meal as it was getting dark. Then a short walk on the beach before turning in for the night. Happy to be back in a corner of the world which means so much to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment