Sunday 7 August 2022

Mozart night at the proms

Awake before the alarm again today, and  ready to leave on time to collect Patricia and drive to San Pedro for the only Eucharist of the day. Again there were thirty of us, which included a family with four young children and another family with four teenage boys, a healthy mix for an ex-pat congregation. Time at last for a relaxed coffee after the service. 

We didn't use the video projector for the liturgy and hymns today, but booklets and mission praise, plus the rite A Common Worship Eucharistic Prayer based on the ancient text of Hyppolytus, widely used with minor variation among Catholics and Protestants, because it dates back to an era before there were divisions in the western church. It's certainly my favourite. 

I was back at the  house by a quarter to one and ended up having lunch much earlier than usual. Then there were a few emails to attend to, in preparation for next Sunday when we have a baptism at San Pedro during the service. It got me started on drafting a homily for that occasion. I'll need to do a separate one for the service at Sotogrande later in the week. I had a siesta until it started to cool down enough for it to be comfortable to walk along the senda litoral, chatting to Clare on WhatsApp for ages, while she was out walking in Llandaff Fields.

The BBC Proms live broadcast tonight was showcasing works by Mozart and featured Piano Concertos 20 and 22, with Leif Ove Andsnes directing the Mahler Chamber Orchestra from the piano keyboard. It was a powerful experience, especially in the light of my recent slide video creation of the fire photos I took, using a dramatic, dare I say fiery section of number 20's second movement. He played cadenzas I hadn't heard before which gave an extra richness as well as excitement to the performance. Shall I sleep after such stimulating music?

No comments:

Post a Comment