Saturday 27 August 2022

Last Lap

A cooler night, but one of disturbed sleep for both of us, winding up ready to travel I guess. We spent the morning cleaning the house and putting things in order. I had to complete my preparations for a very busy final Sunday with a baptism concluding.

Clare went for a swim while I was working, and then we walked down to 'La Escollera' restaurant in the fishing port for lunch. Escollera means breakwater in Spanish. How strange that the restaurant's logo is a fishing trawler!

It's very popular with Spanish diners, with a very varied fish menu. I imagine that in the winter it just has indoor tables for eighty people, but at other times, the parking area outside is covered with tables under huge umbrellas, catering for as many people again. We didn't have to queue or wait long to be served once we sat down. We ordered a large mixed salad between us. Clare had Monkfish, I had big local Sardinas and the portions were generous. It was the treat we both needed, and very reasonably priced with drinks at forty euros.

We were going to catch the bus back but ended up walking rather than wait twenty minutes. No bus passed us in that time. We needed a siesta then, but already packing was on my mind. I want everything possible ready to go before my morning's work tomorrow, so that we can enjoy a final lunch before being taken for our coach to Malaga.

On my way back from taking out stuff for recycling I noticed a black van with its engine running, outside one of the houses in the street below ours, with the legend 'Interfunerals' on the back. The sort of van that would be sent to collect someone who'd been certified dead and cleared for removal. In the land of holiday homes and ageing occupants, death too can be a visitor from time to time.

Bag packing this evening, floor cleaning and a peek at a historical travelogue about Sicily before early bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment