Sunday 30 October 2022

And now I see ...

A day of occasional cloudbursts rain and sunny spells. After breakfast I drove to St German's to celebrate the Eucharist with twenty five others for the first time in seven weeks and was warmly welcomed back. It was sunny when we started,  and the lights were not needed, then dark clouds rolled in as I prepared to read the Gospel, as it did one Sunday nine months ago. Then my cataracts made reading in low light very tricky which un-nerved me. That was the Sunday when eye surgeon Andrew and I first talked about my sight, and he proposed doing the cataract op. How wonderful it was to have my low light vision restored! 

I had to thank God for Andrew's wonderful ministry to me. This week he's off to Malawi for six months where he is setting up a new eye clinic. Then he'll return and work six months for the NHS to fund another spell of work in Malawi. Such amazing commitment, sharing his skills across continents like this. 

Home for lunch just after one, and after a brief snooze, a walk with Clare through Bute Park, with a take away coffee from the Tuk-Tuk mobile cafeteria at Blackweir Bridge. With more rain since yesterday the Taff water level isn't  dropping, though it's nowhere near as high as it was last February. We walked for nearly an hour and a half and the sun was set by the time we reached home.

After supper and the Archers, I watched the latest Countryfile edition on at my sisters recommendation on iPlayer. It was all about an artistic light-show involving thousands of hikers on the four tallest mountains in Great Britain, making moving patterns of light in darkness on the slopes displaying images best seen in video clips shot by drones, the idea being to showcase their natural beauty and encourage networking by hikers to help take care of the environment. 

Making this involved using some remarkable new technology involving GPS mapping and low intensity LED lights hand held by participants, as well as creative artists innovative use of these to conceive of this with computer aided design. A very interesting proposal, though I'm not sure the drone footage edited together from the four sites really did full justice to the spectacular effort involved in project delivery.

Then on BBC One, I watched the first episode in the story of the SAS and its contribution to breaking the deadlock between the Eighth Army and Rommel's Afrika Corps. Much was shot on location in Morocco in authentic looking locations, an alluring period piece, with a thumping good real life story behind it.

Now that the left I cataract has gone, it's gratifying to realise what a difference it makes, even though the eye has not yet settled down fully and I will need new specs, being able to see clearly has taken away the extra effort of caution required to avoid making mistakes. I feel just that bit more relaxed and at home in my own skin. It's wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment