Thursday 6 October 2022

Unexpected invitation

I woke up late this morning so it was nine before I posted the link to this week's Morning Prayer video. After breakfast, I went to Tesco's to shop for food bank groceries and took them to St John's. There was no Eucharist this week as the church was hosting a clergy in-service training day, but I slipped in and placed our contribution in the collection box, and departed. From what I could gather, a presentation on running church meetings had just begun. How thankful I was to be no longer obliged to attend things like this.

I went home and started preparing lunch early as I was going to be collected for a funeral at Thornhill at one thirty. There were about a dozen people present. The preparation for this one had been difficult, as the next of kin were poor at communicating their requirements for the service and responding to requests for information. Although the deceased didn't die suddenly, it seemed as if those involved were traumatized, unable to act. I gave it my best effort nevertheless. After the service the chief mourners left the chapel without acknowledging me, although a few mourners did express their appreciation. It's hard to know how any follow up might be made, or whether it would be appreciated. A rare experience.

After I returned, Clare and I went for a walk along either side of the Taff, calling into the 'Secret Garden' cafe for a drink. The water level in the river has risen over the past week of occasional rain, covering most of the rocks that have protruded from the river bed over previous months. None of the usual birds were to be seen either, perhaps changing their habits because of the change in their environment.

After supper on BBC Four we watched 'Young Musician of the Year' semi-final, featuring half a dozen very talented pianists. The winner of this section of the competition was Ethan Loch, a eighteen year old Scottish lad, blind from birth, who was able to coax out of the instrument sounds and textures which really inspired the judges in his immaculate and moving performance. It was most inspiring to listen to.

Then I noticed an email had arrived from someone I didn't know. It was from Jen a churchwarden at St Andrew's in Fuengirola, where I did a series of locum duty stints 2013-14 last eight months in all, asking if I'd be interested in returning there in the New Year. I was amazed that this should come to me out of the blue and not via Emma the diocesan locum administrator. Strange to say, this is how I first was asked out if I could cover St Andrew's of the blue, a phone came call, while I was waiting in the departure lounge for a return flight after a spell of duty in Nerja. We had a good time there. We know the house, being its first occupants after it was kitted out for use, and know the chaplaincy area already, so no disconcerting surprises going there again. I'm thrilled! The next step is to sort out dates. It's good to have something like this to look forward to.


No comments:

Post a Comment