Monday 24 October 2022

Leadership change

A rainy day with occasional bursts of sunshine. My eyesight is recovering well now. Six doses of eye drops daily over the weekend has minimised any irritation or tenderness. For the next three and a half weeks it's four doses a day. I hope the two little eyedropper bottles last that long. 

Back to the Monday routine of hoovering, then grocery shopping before lunch. Afterwards, listening to the live broadcast from Parliament, building up to the two o'clock announcement of the result of Tory party leadership nomination contest. At one minute to two Penny Mordaunt announced her withdrawal from the process, making way for the 'coronation' of Rishi Sunak, the remaining nominee for the job as party leader and Prime Minister. Like Boris, she spoke of uniting behind the leadership of one candidate. Like Boris she didn't have the support of over half the MPs willing to entrust the job to her. An historic day for Britain as Sunak is the first British Prime Minister of Asian Hindu parentage. By a remarkable coincidence today is the Hindu Festival of Diwali.

It's such a shame that the 200,000 members of the Tory Party with voting rights chose Liz Truss instead of Sunak seven weeks ago, as her policy proposals have had such disastrous consequences for the country's economy. Fortunately he's very intelligent, capable and maybe far sighted, having earned his small fortune in hedge fund market trading. The MPs wanted him first time around but the party members went for Truss, fooled by her reckless unsubstantiated promises. I can't see that happening with Sunak. He's got a very difficult job ahead of him, pulling the country back from the brink of economic collapse, but I think he can do it. His political views are poles apart from mine, but he has honourable values, integrity and will I think, be honest with the country about whatever he thinks needs to be done. Such a change from Boris. 

When I'd listened to enough news and comment, I walked half way to town and took the bus the rest of the way, taking two watches belonging to my sister to get replacement batteries fitted at the stall in the market, a five minute job. Then, a look around John Lewis for any bargain cameras. Although my HX90 still works, with a hole in the corner of the casing and without working viewfinder, it would only take a few drops of rainwater through the hole to stop it working altogether.

I took the bus back to Canton and called into Beanfreaks to buy a large refill pack of cinnamon and a rye loaf, then walked the rest of the way home and watched the news again before supper. There wasn't much of interest to watch early evening, so I went for a short walk in the dark, and was delighted to find how much of a difference the cataract removal has made to my night vision. This will give me greater confidence about night driving in future.

I watched another barely intelligible episode of 'The Blacklist'. In the effort to sustain a fast pace editing has dis-jointed the storyline, and the dialogue isn't all that enlightening. Why do I watch? To see how much worse it can get, I guess.



No comments:

Post a Comment