Monday 3 October 2022

Mini family reunion

Clare made waffles for breakfast this morning, a Rhiannon favourite. Accidentally she added eggs to a vegan recipe, making them a bit denser, but it meant I couldn't risk eating them without risking my gall bladder acting up. At midday Owain arrived. It was lovely to have the two of them here together with us if only for a few hours.

We walked down to 'Calabrisella' at Canton Cross for an authentic Italian lunch. I had a delicious bowl of spaghetti with assorted vegetables in a tomato sauce, better than anything I could cook myself with the same ingredients, and reasonably priced. An arancino was ordered for everyone to share, except me that is, because it contained some sort of cheese. I was tempted to taste the last morsel left on the dish, one forkful, and it left a really strong taste on my tongue which took an hour or so to go away. Since going dairy free three years ago my plate has changed considerably. My taste buds seem to be more sensitive nowadays to certain flavours that I used to be well accustomed to, especially cheese. In a way it's quite useful as it warns me off foods that would really upset my stomach.

Owain needed to catch a train at half past five, so we went to the bus stop to see him off, and then I went for a walk down to the river. When I stopped to take a picture of an egret, I discovered my Sony HX90 had been damaged from being recently in a coat pocket and taking a hit against the wall when I took it off. The top corner of the casing had broken, and with it the tiny switching mechanism that raises the pop-up viewfinder. I've used the viewfinder more frequently than ever before over the past year as the cataract in my 'camera eye' has worsened. I bought this camera in June 2019 and have taken nearly five thousand photos with it so far. The camera still works, rear screen included, but my eyes don't focus on it easily when I'm not wearing reading glasses, which I'm less likely to carry outdoors. I'm mad with myself for being so careless.

After supper, Clare and Rhiannon went to a movie at the Chapter Arts cinema, and I watched 'Blacklist' on catch-up and 'Inside Man' live. Both were pretty weird and confusing to follow

No comments:

Post a Comment