Wednesday 23 November 2022

Everyday kindness

A return to rain and blustery winds today with the occasional ray of sun, and even claps of thunder later in the day. I celebrated the Eucharist at St Catherine's this morning, so that Mother Frances could be free to spend time at the Bishop of Llandaff School after taking their morning service. There were just seven of us today, and some of us lingered in the hall and chatted afterwards. I had to go home and fetch the veggie bad before going to collect our weekly order. Fish pie was on the table for lunch by the time I got back.

My post op eye test was cancelled as optometrist Ceri was off sick. I'm rebooked for the first of December. At least it meant I didn't have to make my way to Cathays by bus and on foot in changeable weather and could relax a bit before walking to the other end of the Parish on a bereavement visit. A local café owner and his wife had been taking care of an elderly single man who visited them every day over years for his daily meal, and even more so when he became vulnerable and housebound. Everyday hospitality overflowing into kindness and compassion and now they're laying him to rest in the absence of any next of kin. 

He died in the house he was born in, something I've heard about before in this part of Cardiff, but quite rare in the shifting sands of modern life. The deceased was a music lover with a collection of 800 classical CDs. My suggestion about choosing music for his funeral was based on a sample selection taken from recently used pile brought back for discussion, but the choice was left to me. A few titles seemed suitable, and having noted them, I checked them out on YouTube before emailing Pidgeon's with the information.

After supper, with not much of interest worth watching on telly, I launched into reading a very recent John Le Carré spy novel left behind by Sister in Law Ann earlier this year. Recent in that Brexit and Trump get mentioned. That's pretty up to date

No comments:

Post a Comment