Sunday 6 November 2022

Wet weekend hospitality

Another day for rain. Sara Clare and I got wet walking to St Catherine's for the Parish Eucharist. We were thirty adults and four children. Not bad for a wet half term Sunday. I don't know if I have a hearing deficit, but I had difficulty following Mother Frances when she preached this morning. She naturally speaks fast, so decoding what she says in the pulpit requires full attention, and I still fail to grasp the point. I find this a bit distressing, as I can't work out whether I agree with what she says or not.

For Sara, it was a rare chance to worship in English again, which she says she prefers to her mother tongue Swedish. Sara is fluently bi-lingual and so is her daughter Ebba, remarkably so for a fifteen year old, whose default pronunciation style is American, but can with concentration speak English decently with an English accent also. Now and then she needs to check a word she doesn't understand or ask for an English equivalent to something in Swedish. I guess they converse in English as well as Swedish at home.

After lunch, I drove them to the airport in the pouring rain. We hugged a farewell in the car park and they made the hundred metre dash to the departures entrance, then I headed home, listening again to Choral Vespers for the Dead from Leeds Cathedral on Radio Four. Lovely. The rain stopped, and after a cup of tea Clare and I went out for a walk in the park. By the time we were on the return leg it started to rain again. Twice wet in a day.

I worked on the video slideshow for next Thursday's Morning Prayer before and after supper, taking a break to watch this week's episode of 'SAS Rogue Heroes' before uploading the finished product. It's very well conceived, though I can't help but think that much of the dialogue is anachronistic in phraseology. 

I had a text message from Sara at ten to say they'd just landed in Gothenburg. The outbound flight from Cardiff was fifteen minutes late departing, but there was enough of a wait at Schiphol not to endanger their homebound connection. All's well that ends well. A good time was had by all, despite the weather.

As the rain stopped and sky cleared after dark, I went out for a moonlit walk in the park before turning in for the night. Although not yet full moon, it shone brightly enough to cast moving shadows of trees on the path. Enchanting!

No comments:

Post a Comment