Monday 27 May 2024

A marriage in perspective

I slept for an hour longer than usual, but still felt tired when I woke up. Yesterday's drive to Fuengirola on top of the Sunday service really drained me. After breakfast, I did a load of washing. While the machine was running, I worked on a homily for tomorrow's wedding. It was gone midday when I drove into town, parked in the 'dust bowl' and visited the Church Shop for an hour. Then a tapas lunch in Biznaga while I waited to meet Scott and Laura the couple whose wedding I shall be blessing tomorrow at three in San Salvador Church. 

They've been together seventeen years and have three children, and finally decided it's time to get married, to celebrate the life they have together. Laura's dad has a house here and they've been holidaying here for years and love the place. San Salvador is more than just a romantic venue, but a place they have identified with over the years. I enjoyed meeting them and talking them through the ceremony and its choreography. It will be a happy family occasion for all involved, I'm sure. Tomorrow morning I have a meeting with Ian's daughters about their dad's funeral. The another hour or so in the shop, and tapas at Biznaga again before the wedding.

When I returned to church house, I made supper with leftovers from yesterday augmented with chorizo with a few spoonfuls of lentils, and a chunk of pan campesino acquired with a few other things on my way back to the car. I don't carry big stocks of food. It's easier with nobody but myself to care for, if I get things in modest quantities when I need them, so that what I have doesn't go stale or in the case of fruit and veg, go wrinkly and deteriorate.

With all my preparations for tomorrow finally complete, I went out for a walk at sunset. It was darker than usual as thin cloud blown in from the west was gradually enveloping the high ridges above the valley. It's humid now but just might rain in the night. I stopped by the Alcazaba I block of holiday apartments up the hill and waited to see if the large tailed nightjar would arrive as it has done previously, just around ten, to perch on the TV antenna and make its strange call, announcing the arrival of darkness I guess. Silently, a bird appeared on the roof parapet, about the size of a crow, I guess. It gave a little cheep of a sound, flew in a circle, landed on the antenna and made its distinctive call for about a minute before disappearing into the night. I tried taking a photo using the TZ95 night shot setting, but the camera would not co-operate in such low light. I miss my Sony HX90.

And n ow for another earlier night.

No comments:

Post a Comment