Wednesday 22 May 2024

UK's Judgement Day announced.

I woke up early, did another load of washing after breakfast and hung it out to dry. No wind today, and it's just a few degrees warmer and drier. Up to 26C in the afternoon.

I caught the ten to eleven bus into town, visited the church shop for a chat with the volunteers on duty, and caught the quarter to one bus back. The washing was bone dry and ready to use. In the news this lunchtime, the announcement of a UK General election on 4th July, taking some members of the cabinet by surprise, as an October date was the main speculation. Prime Minister Rishi Sunak is betting there'll be a surge of optimism favouring his party, as a result of the latest downturn in the rate of inflation. It seems to me he's out of touch with the grim mood of so many in the country, struggling with the cost of living crisis and with debt or insecure housing, or long NHS waiting lists. Judgement day on the past fourteen years of Tory government is only six weeks away, at last!

I cooked a veggie stew with chorizo for lunch, accompanied by spaghetti again, I fancied it, no family member around to complain about lack of variety, so I can eat what I like. I miss having someone else around. I found myself thinking that Owain was still in the house, as I did with Clare after she left. I guess it takes time for the memory to adjust to solitude.

I spent the afternoon writing my Sunday sermon, then walked to Torre de Macaca, the 17th century watch tower on a promontory overlooking the bay. It's in good condition, but surrounded by trees and bushes. Its architecture replicates the design of others up and down the whole eastern Spanish coast, with its entrance door five metres above ground level for security purposes, accessed by rope ladder. Remnants of wooden stays above the door where a pulley would have been mounted for heavy lifting are still visible. Close to the tower is a substantial early 19th century building, decaying, surrounded by leylandia and a tangle of bushes. It accommodated the land based group guardacostas back in the day.


For supper this evening I made hummus using butter beans mixed with olive oil half a lemon and garlic salt. Although bland with mild flavour, it was tasty despite me forgetting to add a spoonful of tahini. I'll do this next time.

When I chatted with Owain he told me that he returned to his desk this morning to find a message from his new boss to say that she's secured a pay rise for him as he's been covering the work of his immediate supervisor since that person left. It may take a month or so, but it will pull him back from not being able to manage on his present salary, which hasn't changed in two years in any case, due to the slowness of  negotiations to complete a long term pay deal. I think this a scandalous way to treat employees in public service, and am surprised people affect haven't gone on strike. There's a poisonous inefficiency in many areas of government administration which has its source in the ethics of political leadership, or lack of it which has plagued our country for far too long.



No comments:

Post a Comment