Thursday 16 May 2024

Mistaken on all counts

Both Owain and I had a refreshing night's sleep we needed, though I seemed to wake up rather frequently. At one point, whether I was dreaming or awake I'm not sure, and it seems I did dream more than usual last night, an unexpected image came into my head of the ticket barrier at Cardiff Airport. It was the one place where I used my Post Office Money Card on my return home, and I'd forgotten about it. Ann had set aside a pound coin, but couldn't find it when we arrived at the barrier. I handed her the card to tap and pay the pound exit charge for less than a ten minute wait. 

Malaga's Express Parking gives ten minutes free in a most convenient place for collecting or dropping off passengers. This is why the puzzling amount appeared in my account, taken out in euros. It was such a relief to know that my card had not been 'skimmed' as I thought it had been.  Owain said that thieves who succeed in bypassing card security will empty an account immediately. I wasn't sure he was right about it, and I worried rather than take action. Sleep provided the answer I needed eventually.

After breakfast, I checked my Money Card PIN code was correct then we went food shopping at Lidl's. To my horror, my Money Card payment was rejected. This was the third time. We paid cash, and assumed it meant the card had been blocked by three failed PIN attempts. Back at Church House with confidence and determination, Owain rang the card helpline, and navigated the responses until it was it was possible to speak to a live human being, a friendly Scot. I was nothing more than a bag of nerves at this point. 

When I'd confirmed my identity, it seemed at first there was no money in the account, but my my laptop screen showed there was. Then the penny dropped. The card number the operator referred to was for my previous card no longer in use, and it was blocked. For no sensible reason I have both cards with me in different compartments of the same secure wallet. The active card hadn't been blocked as it hadn't been used since the car park payment. I had tried to pay with a useless card. What a careless fool I am! Needless to say, the previous card is banished elsewhere now.

We had boquerones with fresh bread and salad for lunch. Then I took Owain to visit his old friends who  have relocate to Nerja and work from home here. They have an apartment in the Edificio Almihara at the edge of the urbanizacion where the Church House used to be situated. The multi storey block looks out over the rio Chillar, whose broad banks 50-60 metres below are lined with smallholdings and orchards down river as far as the newer of the two N340 road bridges. A great place to live, convenient too, as there's a health centre five hundred metres away, sports pitches, and a small stadium, within a few minutes walk, plus nursery, primary and secondary schools within easy walking distance, and the Line 1 bus into the town center. An ideal spot to raise a family. After being introduced to his friend Jenny, I left Owain with, to return by bus, or call me if he needs a lift. 

Not far away there's a large domestic dry goods supermarket called 'China Home'. I visited and bought a set of cheap wooden spoons and a serving spoon, as the kitchen lacks these. Mission accomplished, I returned to Church House, to ponder on the uncertainties of the past few days. Normally I can cope with complex things and work through them but one strategic unchecked error led to a misinterpretation of events, more error and lack of complete control over my affairs. My checking was clearly inadequate. A result of added stress in adjusting myself to the changed environment encountered on this tour of duty? I'm as fit as I can be at my age and have enough stamina to see me through the day. Is it a consequence of ageing I haven't noticed? Or not enough stimulus, or mental tiredness? I don't know yet.

Owain returned from visiting Jenny while I was cooking supper. Perfect timing. Afterwards, I took the rubbish down to the bins, then we walked right uphill until we could see Torrox Costa in the last glow of the setting sun, descending the rough track by the light of a half moon, clear enough to cast a shadow. Beautifully cool calm and quiet. We heard the strange gutteral call of a night bird on the TV antenna of the Alcazaba #1 holiday complex. Then we heard the same call again high up, a kilometer away. Not the same bird I think, but another, calling out for a mate. After investigating on the internet it was possible to identify the sound as a large tailed nightjar. This is a photo I found on YouTube video of its song.


The picture I took as the light faded had the same profile but gave no impression of these colours. The last time I heard a nightjar was when we were staying in the cottage of a friend in a remote part of the New Forest about fifty years ago. It wasn't the same species but had as distinct a call, an unforgettable soft churring sound in the forest darkness. A lovely experience and a fond memory to end a distressing day.

No comments:

Post a Comment