Friday 17 May 2024

Cooker sorted

Another lovely day with a slow start, less breezy thank goodness. Owain when down to Playa Vilches for a swim. I had work to finish, and needed to wait in for Mick the electrician to arrive and finish repairing the cooker. He fitted a new switching component for the oven, and found that the erratic performance of the hob was due to a fracture of the cog wheel inside the knob on the front panel, not the rheostat controlling temperature. Fortunately he had a spare one that fitted in his car. It's black not white like the rest, but as it works, this doesn't matter. And it's a reminder of the age of the cooker which may be due for replacement in the not too distant future.

Owain returned from swimming and prepared a light lunch, then we drove to town and parked in the usual place and went for a walk down to Parada Monica and back up to the Balcon for beer and a few tapas at Biznaga. Owain recalled being here with me before when he stayed with me on locum duty. Neither of us can remember so I searched my blog and found that we came to Nerja on the way home from a visit to Granada, and had a tapas lunch in Biznaga on our way back to Malaga where I was on locum duty, June 27th 2017. Amazing how time flies.

On our way back to the car, we called at Mercadona for a few things we needed. Owain was feeling tired and dozed on the sofa for a while. I felt light headed and hungry, so I made a hummus sandwich to eat and then relaxed. Later we walked down the hill to eat at the Mirador de Guilches restaurant. Paz espada for Owain and sardinas for me.  Chips and a spoonful of salad for both of us. We sat at a corner table looking eastward towards Nerja, bathed in evening sunlight, the wind pushing waves inshore to spill foam all over dark rock at the bottom of the 50 metre cliff. Such a lovely place to dine.

We walked back up Tamango hill with the breeze at our backs, somewhat slower than we came down, full of food and tiredness. Then we relaxed and drank wine. For me, the first alcohol of the day. I've got used to asking for 0% cerveza wherever I go while I'm out, as I find now that I function better without it more clear headed and sharp when I'm active, whether driving or walking. I think it's a change in my ageing metabolism that has brought about this change of habit. Nothing to regret about that.

Before turning in for the night, I recorded the Office and Reflection for Corpus Christi in the ground floor room and edited it ready for use with the slide show I have almost finished preparing in quiet moments. Now I should be tired enough to sleep!

I should have had my post-op MRI scan  at UHW this afternoon. I tried phoning on two separate days and emailed the Radiology bookings department postpone twice, but had no acknowledgement, so I don't know if I was taken off the schedule as requested or marked as a defaulter, in which case I'll have to go back to the operating surgeon  restart the process. If this is the case, I shall make a complaint, no matter what excuses hospital admin puts forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment