Thursday 11 July 2024

A new pastoral challenge

A return to blue skies and bright sunshine today, though still rather cool for summertime. I went to the Eucharist at St John's after breakfast and called in to Tesco's to buy food bank groceries: two week's worth as I missed last week. Fr Andrew celebrated in honour of St Benedict's feast day, and took me by surprise. He started the service, much to my embarrassment, by reading most of the biographical reflection I wrote for Morning Prayer and uploaded earlier when I woke up. I'm never sure who if anyone listens to this daily offering, but at least I know it sometimes gets read!

Clare was in town when I returned from church, so I cooked lunch, timing it perfectly for when she came through the door just after one. My afternoon walk took me down to Cowbridge Road and over the river as far as Bute Park. I walked all the way up to Blackweir Bridge on the east bank of the Taff, through quiet woods lit sunlight. At last the paths have dried up and are mud free.

Yesterday, I had an email from Coles Funeral Directors requesting my services next Tuesday. Fr Stewart referred me to them. It'll be the first I've done in a year, apart from one I did when I was in Nerja. When I returned home there was a message from Summers Funeral Directors waiting for me, again referred by Fr Stewart requesting my services for a group of funerals, coincidentally on the same day. The four short services, all in one morning are for people who bequeathed their bodies to the University medical faculty. In each case next of kin are invited to attend. It's something I've never done before and I'll need to think carefully about how to approach this, to ensure each is personal.

After supper, I continued reviewing and editing my novel. I've now reached the last quarter of the book, further than I've gone in previous efforts at completion of the task. I can tell that I've not re-read this since I wrote it as there are still uncorrected typos, misplaced words and unnecessary repeat descriptions calling for a rewrite of some sections, but that's a future task. First get to the end and then think again.

No comments:

Post a Comment