Tuesday 9 July 2024

Drawing Mary

Overcast again today but warmer. The Prime Minister came to Wales to establish relationships with Senedd political leaders, and to engage with Tata Steel on their policy upgrading the Port Talbot plant, and secure are many jobs as possible during the transition. An initiative to build good will between London and the Celtic nations after the colonial years of Tory government.

After breakfast we drove to Fran's house in Penarth to hear the updated presentation she and Marc are rehearsing to take to Lindisfarne in two weeks time at the invitation of Mthr Frances, on the icon of the Annunciation, Marc playing music by 17th century Czech composer Biber. It was deeply thoughtful, reflecting on the significance of form in the composition of this icon. There were seven present. 

This was followed by a drawing workshop focusing on the head of Mary as depicted in this kind of icon. I didn't feel I was up to struggling to make marks with charcoal on blank paper, so I walked for an hour through Alexandra Park instead, and took a few photos. I returned, and joined the group for lunch, then we headed home, as Clare didn't have the energy for another session of drawing.

I went for another walk when we got back. This time over to the big Tesco's on Western Avenue to dispose of more than a dozen empty cartridges used by Clare's printer. It was seven by the time we got around to making a cooked meal, having only had a light lunch at Fran's. I then spent the remains of the evening until bed time, editing another fifty pages of my novel, and making a few changes. It's taking much longer to complete than I realised. The experience of writing a weekly reflection over the last three years has taught me a lot about conciseness of expression, and how best to edit what I've written. At least I hope so. It's worth the effort to make the story worth reading,


No comments:

Post a Comment