Saturday 20 July 2024

Morning Recital

Another cool and cloudy start to the day with periods of rain, though it the sun did put in an appearance in the evening. we started the day with Clare's pancakes. Eight and a half million computers needed a hard reset after yesterday's chaos inducing network catastrophe. Full recovery will take several days, though for the most part big well managed systems are already up and running. Down-time in airline scheduling and any service reliant on just-in-time logistics are now playing catch up. Public warnings have been issued of scammers contacting individuals and offering them help they don't need with computer problems. As ever the biggest problem individuals have is ignorance of how complex any digital device is. Great or small. 

We drove to St Edward's in Roath for a violin recital given by Marc and accompanist Chris. It was an hour of superb music played with a smile of enthusiasm to a packed audience of about a hundred. Every time I applauded after in item, I noticed that my Fitbit recorded several steps, when I hadn't walked any. The same happens when cooking, with the watch on my left arm, as I chop things up with the knife in my left hand. It seems the Fitibit accelerometer which records body movement isn't smart enough to recognise the difference between an arm movement which covers a horizontal distance and one which is within a negligible radius. It may be a matter of what you pay for is what you get. It has too many smart features I never use and the one I need doesn't work as well as it needs to.

Fr Stewart was there, meeting and greeting people afterwards at the door. It was good to see him. He now succumbed to walking with a proper arm support to help him cope with his knee while he awaits surgery. We talked briefly about the medical funerals both of us have done this week, observing that both of us are waiting to be paid - no doubt something to do with the fact that the cremations were commissioned by the University Medical School. Notoriously slow payers. Now there's the added excuse of the internet crash to add to the delay.

We returned for lunch and a siesta, then it rained for several hours. I went out when it slowed to a drizzle towards tea time. Clare followed me out about an hour later, and our paths crossed when I was on my way back. Then I went to Tesco's for a couple of things missed on the week's shopping list. In the evening I watched a couple of new episodes of 'The Wagner Method, series three set in scenic Strasbourg, a mildly comic and rather lightweight crimmie with its hypocondriac lead detective whose mother is the Mayor - an unlikely story.

No comments:

Post a Comment