Monday, 24 August 2026

Déjà vu - Infection

I slept well and was reasonably clear headed. I spent half an hour in the GP surgery telephone queue for an appointment before getting up for breakfast. Clare accompanied me to the surgery where I was fortunate  enough to be seen by Dr Dyban who looked after me when I had the nightmare of the anal abscess back in 2018. She saw the lump on my right buttock as a sign of infection in the surgical wound scar, and prescribed a strong antibiotic, penicillin. My temperature hasn't risen. I don't know if it's infection, or the clot busting medication alone that is making me feel poorly. If the inflamed muscles don't respond I'll have to go to A&E and have it lanced, something I dread. 

We collected a prescription from the pharmacy ordered on-line by Dr Dyban as I left the surgery, then went to the Coop for groceries. I carried them home while Clare went on to the library to collect a new bright red recycling bag. One of the Coop's flimsy recyclable bags burst and spilled its content on the street on my way back, making it a challenge to get the shopping home without losing anything. 

Clare cooked trout fillets for lunch. I was too agitated to rest afterward and went out for a walk to help my blood to circulate the antibiotic through infected muscles. 

Rachel sent a message asking us to send the details of the toilet seat bidet purchase which arrived without the correct plumbing adaptor for UK pipes so that she can raise the issue with the American nanufacturers. Tracking it on our on-line bank statement was as hard as finding a needle in a haystack. Eventually Clare's Amazon account came up with complete details of the order, so I took a screenshot and sent it to her

We watched the Musikverein open air Summer Concert broadcast live from the Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna. Bryn Terfel was the star solist, singing arias from Das Rheingold and Fiddler on the Roof. I was reminded of how moving and powerful it was when this concert took place during the covid pandemic. A carefully rehearsed act of defiance to the plague with all the health and safety measures implemented, to raise the spirits of people in lock-down all over Europe. A reminder to me right now to be very careful in how I cope with this infection.


No comments:

Post a Comment