Sunday, 30 August 2026

Tax return submitted at last

 A fairly good night's sleep, accompanied by the sound of heavy rainfall in the night and early morning. I went on my own to the Eucharist at St Catherine's, Clare and Owain went for a walk and a coffee avoiding the showers. When I returned from church Owain sat with me while I filled in my tax return, a task and a worry for me that's been outstanding since before I had the stroke. 

Up to that point I'd prepared the various figures and had them all written down in a special book. In the weeks after discharge from A&E I made a mess of logging in to my Government Gateway account and was locked out of it, when I couldn't provide correct details over the phone. Owain found the address and some weeks later I was put in contact with a most helpful man in Newcastle who talked me through reinstating the account. I had lost my nerve at that point regarding digital interactions to do with anything financial, and did nothing until the trauma receded to the point where my confidence and calm returned. 

With Owain at my side I logged into the HMRC web site, and into my bank account too, without needing any prompts. I hadn't forgotten anything. Both sites looked and operated the way I remembered them. The best part was having Owain talk me through the process like a tour guide - insightful and helpful. I don't think he needs to make a self assessment tax declaration as he's on PAYE, using the HMRC's own system, but familiarising himself with the self-assessment tax declaration was a useful exercise for him en passant It was interesting to hear his evaluation of the content and its delivery of information on the opening page of the form. Content design is what he does at work. After submitting the tax return, he added a comment on the feedback page noting a specific issue of user friendliness which he thought could easily be improved.

I was so relieved to have done this at last eleven months after starting on it, and so grateful to benefit from my son's professional expertise and calmness, enabling me to get up to date with my civic obligations. It's a small, less obvious aspect of stroke recovery that makes a difference. Admittedly my head was pretty clear and my focus was sharp while we worked together either side of eating lunch. It didn't prevent me from forgetting to take my lunchtime antibiotic. I'm still prone to distraction.

Owain left by taxi us to visit a friend after lunch. There was a cloudburst just after, and we noticed a large volume of water running down the wall outside of the kitchen window, but we couldn't figure out at what point in the roof guttering it was coming from. The gutter didn't appear to be broken or leaking. A close range inspection is needed.

After the rain stopped, Clare went out for a walk and I followed her twenty minutes later, but didn't walk for long due to drizzling rain. It rained for the rest of the evening so I didn't go out again. We had supper then I watched another episode of 'Ludwig' until it was time to get ready for bed. I finish the antibiotics tonight and need to see a GP tomorrow for an assessment of whether the buttock wound is healing as intended.


No comments:

Post a Comment