Saturday, 29 August 2026

Unexpected bleeding

I was in bed by half past eleven last night, and woke up with a light nose bleed at ten past one. Exactly the same time as I woke up with the last bleed that put me in hospital. This time it stopped after taking a beta blocker tablet. My sleep quality was poor thereafter, and I was up at six thirty to the sound of heavy rain, to take my antibiotic. Up at nine for a pancake breakfast, during which my nose started to bleed again. 

A vein in my left nostril that burst before burst again. I sat in my armchair for more than an hour pressing on a vein in the bridge of the nose until it stopped and then fell asleep for half an hour, having taken another beta blocker. I think this works by reducing adrenalin, which in turn inhibits the volatility of blood pressure. The past five days of bum infection and keeping on track with antibiotics, (which thankfully are taking effect) I have been on the alert all the time, taking the meds punctually and with Clare's help keeping the wound safe and clean. It's been stressful to say the least, so no wonder excess adrenalin, and physical exhaustion have given me blood pressure problems and nose bleeds. 

I spent the morning and part of the afternoon resting, unable to do much trying to catch up on as much lost sleep as possible. There was little else I could do. Having rested enough to go to the shops, I got up out of my arm chair and was shocked to find blood dripping down my trouser leg. The boil on my buttock had torn open under pressure while I slept. What a mess to clear up!  Just then Clare returned from a walk, ministered first aid and got the wound stable. Strangely, it's less inflamed and sore now. It was a shocking experience, so unexpected. Eventually I walked to the shops and bought some sterile swabs from Boots and a bunch of carnation buds for Clare from Tesco's.

Owain arrived in the afternoon. He's staying the night and seeing friends tomorrow afternoon. We watched an episode of 'Ludwig' together - a detective drama series featuring an autistic puzzle setting expert whose eccentricities are part of the plot's situation comedy. The logic puzzles at the centre of the story move so fast I can't always follow them. Amusing but also irritating.

No comments:

Post a Comment