On one of the half a dozen occasions I woke up I'd been dreaming of skiing confidently down a long slope on short Alpine skis without using poles, the way you often see young children doing. Something I was never able to do back in the day. It was an unexpected moment of delight in the middle of the night. Then I woke up early and couldn't get back to finish sleeping as much as I needed. I had to make up for it by going back to bed for an hour after breakfast. The medication has caused me to feel drowsy and unwell for most of the day. I feel as if I'm sleepwalking. It's most unpleasant. Is this something to do with the drugs doing their clot dispersal job?
We had trout for lunch filleted in such a way that initially I thought it was a piece of salmon, but it could be something to do with the effect on the medication on my perception. My ability to rely on memory is undermined, not by totally forgetting, but by my slowness of recall. The afternoon was cloudy with brief spells of drizzle, pleasantly cool. After we'd eaten I went to Tesco's to withdraw cash from their ATM and buy some mushrooms. Then I walked up and down Llandaff Fields for an hour, and again for a short while after supper, contending with ankle joint pain which occurs if my leg muscles aren't warmed up enough.
We watched the second part of Michael Sheen's documentary 'Buried' about the scandalous dumping of toxic PCB chemicals, exposing publicly and formally the seriousness of contamination with a presentation made at a meeting in the Senedd. The appeal for urgent action has been made, but responses from public authorities have been lukewarm and evasive to say the least, so things are likely to get worse. Monsanto Chemicals whose dumped toxic products are the source of the problem, have yet to be called to account and made to pay for clearing up the environment affected by chemical leaks. I hope the airing of this most serious issue will lead to a government response and action. The entry of PCBs into the food chain and in all our bodies is a threat to the health and welfare of all inhabitants and to wildlife.
On a more cheering note, after this we watched another fascinating edition of 'Fake or Fortune' about the authentication of a couple of sketchbooks filled with drawings and water colours by the young Henri Toulouse-Lautrec. It was partly in French, which made it even more enjoyable to end the evening.
No comments:
Post a Comment