Monday 3 June 2013

My kind of bargain

On Saturday, I spotted a Lumix DMC-LX5 advanced compact camera in John Lewis'. I looked at online reviews over the weekend, and decided that with its particular set of features, at 26% of its launch price it was an irresistible bargain, a piece of weight saving kit I could take with me to Spain next week instead of my cherished Sony Alpha 55 DSLR. So, on my way in to the CBS office this afternoon, I revisited the store and found that the bargain camera had not been bought by someone else over the weekend. It's what happens in times of recession. It's very much a buyers market, particularly for skinflints like me that don't really enjoy spending money without good cause.

With my new acquisition, I can learn to vary manual settings easily instead of relying on 'Auto' as I habitually tend to, and then transfer my acquired knowledge to a more sophisticated device - well that's my excuse. I took it out for a walk around Llandaff Fields as the sun was setting, and enjoyed playing with the results afterwards. It's not the 'state of the art' camera of this type, but it has more capability that I'll learn to use well. I especially like what it can do at close range, and wide angle settings. A camera can never truly represent all the eye can see, or exactly what the mind selects for attention from what it sees. But it sure makes to think about everything you look at in a fresh way.

And that's what makes me enthusiastic about taking photographs.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment