Sunday 26 June 2016

End of a locum chapter

My last visit to Almuñécar this morning, and the last service there until September, as the regular schedule is suspended due to the demands on chapel time from Catholic holidaymakers as visitors arrive in their tens of thousands, and parking becomes even more impossible. There were the usual dozen faithful worshippers there, and afterwards some appreciative farewells over a cup of coffee. The same at San Miguel too.

In the afternoon, I led a family celebration in El Salvador church for a couple who'd been civilly married 32 years ago and wanted to give thanks for the many blessings they'd received. It was a relaxed informal occasions, with the entire assembly gathering around the couple in a circle while they renewed their vows. After their photo-opportunity on the Balcon, there was a gathering for pre-supper drinks on a rooftop terrace nearby, with fabulous views - but I hadn't taken a camera with me. Never mind. It was just enjoyable to chat with friendly people having a happy time.

Judith and I were invited to join them all for supper at Number 34, but we were both pretty tired after a busy Sunday. As churchwarden, Judith had been with me at all three services. Both of us just wanted to head for our respective abodes and relax. This has been my 22nd Sunday of duties here, and from September the new Chaplain will be in post. Nice to think that I've worked myself out of a job, as a missionary pastor should.

No comments:

Post a Comment