Thursday 1 December 2022

Eye check

I woke up in time to hear my phone's notification beep telling my it was time to upload this week's link for Morning Prayer to WhatsApp. I don't recall that happening before. I've been leaving the phone on to find out how long a battery charge lasts. It's almost three days, on continually. That's more than I'd expect, but I'm not exactly a heavy user. I noticed too that this phone picks up the minimal 4G phone signal better than the Blackberry did. Perhaps that's a slight improvement in service. Perhaps an improvement in the phone's ability to receive and hold a signal. Our street, like others in the neighbourhood is poorly served by the main EE mast in the city centre, although it's only a mile away, but we're equally low lying, and in the so called 'signal shadow'. 

Anyway, job done, I got up and made the porridge for breakfast. With an eye test appointment at eleven, I had enough time to shop for our weekly food bank donation and then to the the School of Optometry, but had to miss the Eucharist at St John's as I went by bus and on foot through the city centre instead of taking the car. I could have attended the service and used the car had I known in advance the test wasn't going to involve pupil dilation, as has been the case in the past. I got there on time, just, and the hour long test produced a good result. Nothing untoward following the cataract op, just needing new prescription specs to drive and read at arm's length.

Because I didn't use the car, I didn't have my driving glasses with me to check the preferred shape which fits well with the clip on sun glasses I use. I decided to go home for lunch and return later in the afternoon by car with the driving specs, and walked home by the most direct route via the cycle path to Blackweir Bridge. I returned to the clinic at four, with both pairs of specs, and ordered a new frame for my reading specs and an identical frame for the driving specs at a special offer price of £140 for the pair. I got back at five as it was getting dark, and was lucky to regain the parking spot outside the house which I'd left an hour and a half before. 

I scanned the optometry report and emailed to Andrew in Malawi, as requested, to add to his digital case file, and was delighted to receive several short video excerpts of Jasmine's most recent performance with her school's Jazz ensemble. You can see the confidence and hear the playing improvement as well. What a delight for us this is!

After supper I took time out and watched a few more episodes of 'London Kills' before turning in for the night. Anything to avoid the overdose of football news, interviews, analysis and opinions which have been flooding the news this past couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment