Saturday 3 December 2022

It's Bazaar or Fayre time again

A late start to the day, but pancakes for breakfast once more this morning. Then I walked to Cowbridge Road and caught a C1 bus over to West Grove, a five minute walk from St German's for their Christmas bazaar. Walking the last stretch took me past the former St James' church whose closure I had to oversee in 2007, now being converted into fourteen apartments. The advertisement hoarding facing on to Newport Road simply says 'St James' with the strap-line 'Divinely Re-invented' - amusing, clever. I wonder what the Church in Wales Bench of Bishops has to say about that?

It was good to see and chat at the bazaar with old friends from St Michael's in Whitchurch Road, one of the churches in this ministry area, people I've known since I was Team Rector of Central Cardiff, looking after St Michael's, and St Teilo's. We talked or should I say lamented about the changes in the dioceses, and our hope to see a new Bishop elected with a pastoral heart, and healing touch, and a long standing personal knowledge of ministry and mission in Llandaff diocese. Pushing through so many changes in recent years has gone against the grain for some, and demoralised many. The churches need recovery time to come to terms with all that's happened and adjust to much diminished resources and membership.

I bought a hot dog and chips and some mince pies for lunch, and my raffle ticket purchase won me a small bottle of Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon and a wine glass to drink it from, in the presentation box. I seldom win anything in raffles. Clare has won wine in a raffle twice in the past year. Third time lucky and this time it's me!

I caught a 49 electric bus along Newport Road and across the city centre to the Westgate Hotel, and then a 25 up Cathedral Road to Llandaff Fields, so I was at home by three. Clare arrived shortly after me, having gone to the Steiner School Christmas Fayre while I was out. I then walked for an hour and a half around the park, and when I get back, fell asleep listening to the five o'clock news, and slept deeply for over an hour, making up for going to bed late last night.

After supper, I watched several more episodes of 'London Kills', with more twists and turns than an Alpine Mountain Pass. One investigation per episode and a background story of a disappearance running through them all, so it keeps your attention. Earlier to be tonight, as it's Sunday tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment