Thursday 8 December 2022

New spec's for both of us

It was minus two when I woke up this morning, just before 'Thought for the Day'. I posted a link to today's Morning Prayer video on WhatsApp, then listened to the news headlines before getting up for breakfast. I went to the Eucharist at St John's, six of us together in the side chapel. The nave was full with recording equipment and brass ensemble musical instruments. The Cory Band is recording another CD I think. Over coffee afterwards, I learned that four hundred people came to the church Christmas tree Lights switch-on and carol singing with the Sally Army last weekend. Impressive numbers, and quite a surprise calling for some hasty additional catering improvisation.

A message came in from the University Optometrists to say my new pairs of spec's had arrived, so I rang immediately and arranged a fitting and collection appointment at half past one. I got half was through preparing and cooking lunch, then switched everything off and drove the car over to Cathays. Traffic in town was slow moving, a fifteen minute trip taking twenty five. Two students training in the dispensary took turns, each with a pair to fit. One wore a hijab and was from her accent Middle Eastern, the other was South East Asia. The School of Optometry has a high reputation, and trains many overseas students. I got back home just after two. Clare had just arrived by another route from the same place. She's just spent two hours having her eyes tested, ready for new spec's. Finishing cooking didn't take long, but it was half past two by the time we'd eaten.

I then worked for an hour and a half on completing and uploading to YouTube next Thursday's Morning Prayer, before going out for a brisk walk down to Sophia Gardens and back along the Taff. It was dark by the time I reached home. After supper, with nothing of interest on telly again I continued reading the Patricia Cornwell crimmie until nearly bed time. I find the American English first person narrative style she uses somewhat difficult. As she doesn't use speech quotation marks, it's sometimes hard to know who is speaking. The fact that the legal system and its procedures are so different means there's a lot that needs decoding as you go. It's the some when watching Euro-crimmies but over the past decade I have become familiar enough with the differences with British law for it not to be a stumbling block to enjoying a story. I'm glad I don't live in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment