Wednesday 14 December 2022

Out of the house again

It was minus one when I got up for breakfast. My ankle had improved overnight, and I was able to put on my hiking books with good ankle support, plus elastic knee and ankle supports to walk to St Catherine's and celebrate the Eucharist. It took me twice as long as usual, going slowly and carefully. Fortunately the pavements were frost free. We kept the feast of St John of the Cross and I took the opportunity to read to the six in the congregation part of one of John's poems about journeying by night. It got me thinking about the Cloud of Unknowing afterwards. It was written about two centuries earlier and works with the same notion of not being able to see, but going forward trustfully, entering into the depths of divine mystery.

We chatted afterwards over coffee, then Ann kindly gave me a lift down to Eton Place to collect the week's veggie bag, and then drop me off at home. I then completed cooking lunch which Clare had started before going shopping. Then I took my boots off and was relieved to find my ankle was no worse for walking. Later I walked to the surgery to collect my three months medication prescription. Altogether half my usual daily average today, but on the way back to normality now, thankfully.

In the evening I wrote next weeks biblical reflection, recorded and edited both Office and reflection after watching an new episode of 'Vienna Blood' in which a psychiatrist advises a murder investigator on a psychological profile of the investigator, when this was still a novel idea. The period piece interiors and Vienna town-scapes are lovely to see as a backdrop to the story, even if on times this police procedural movie seems a little mannered and wooden. It went on a little longer than anticipated and I ended up going to bed much later than planned - again.

No comments:

Post a Comment