Monday 12 December 2022

Laid up

Sleep was fitful with discomfort from pain in my ankle and lower leg, but helped by an ibuprofen which Clare insisted I take in the middle of the night. It started to ease by the time I got up late for breakfast. I could stand and walk slowly and carefully to avoid stabs of pain in my heel and ankle joint, but still no swelling. I had no alternative but to spend the day resting with my foot up unable to do my share of either the housework or the cooking. 

The knee and ankle support were dispensed with once I realised I could walk safely without them. It's just a matter of being patient with myself and staying safe indoors. This will be the first time I've not been  out walking at all for longer than I can remember except when I've been laid low with a debilitating virus.

The choir WhatsApp group was busy with messages during the day, positive feedback from the concert yesterday, including an offer to make a professional standard recording of the concert in St Illtud's in the New Year. I had a positive response from Caroline the Lay Reader at St Andrew's Los Boliches, about the Lent course outline I emailed to Jen on Saturday. We're considering having a weekly address on the course material at the midweek Communion with discussion afterwards over coffee, and then a Zoom discussion around the address the next day. It's a start anyway. I made a little more progress in arrangements for the funeral I've been asked to take in eight days time.

In the afternoon I finished reading the Patricia Cornwell crimmie, with one of those 'evil twin' scenarios in its ending. It seemed to me however that the various threads of the story contained excessive detail and repeated descriptions of the setting of action which seemed more like padding to me than an enhancement to the chilling drama promised on the cover. Even the title 'Red Mist' seemed only marginally relevant to the whole story. Harder work than her earlier stories I'd say.

After supper I watched two and a half episodes of 'Strike', series four on BBC iPlayer, authored by J.K Rowling. Well written and interesting in telling a cold case story from fifty years ago in which dramatis personae are seen as they were in the seventies and now in old age. I could have watched all four episodes back to back as the story holds attention superbly, but I also need sleep to make up for last night. The ankle isn't any longer throbbing painfully all the time. Hopefully I'll sleep better tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment