Saturday 27 November 2021

Leaf invasion

A clear cold night and a day of gusting icy north winds disrupting rail and road traffic in many parts of the country. Owain returned to Bristol after a late breakfast. We wondered if he'd be affected by train services being disrupted, but thankfully this didn't happen. It was lovely having him with us for two nights in a row sharing meals and walking together down to the Taff. For him it was also catch up time with friends he'd not seen since before the pandemic. Last night he met many of them at a techno club in Jacob's Market, one of his old haunts when he lived here.

I had a rare weekend call from John at Pidgeon's about a funeral a week Monday - that'll be two in the same week. It's that time of year, I suppose, pandemic notwithstanding. 

When I went out for a walk after lunch it was bitterly cold and I had to walk hard not to get chilled. Wind had swept all the golden brown leaves away from the trees, leaving the grass clean and green. They were piled them up knee deep around parked cars on Penhill Road, rather unsafe left uncleared, to my mind, as they are dry enough to be inflammable. 


When I'd had enough of the cold, I returned and watched part two of the 'Millennium Trilogy' on BBC iPlayer, rather than staying up late and watching it this evening. I don't think I've seen it before, despite seeing part one. In the end I don't think I got to bed any earlier.

Having missed out on Saturday breakfast pancakes, Clare cooked some for supper, which was a pleasant change. I then went out for some fresh air and found that the pavement on the east side of Llanfair Road was covered, knee deep with leaves, blown down from Penhill Road. That's a lot of work for the residents to deal with. The Council doesn't have a good record on autumn leaf clearance unfortunately. I don't think I've ever seen such a huge amount of leaves shifted by the wind in less than a day.

Tomorrow's Advent Sunday sermon printed out ready to go. Another Christian calendar year starting all over again. Time flies.


No comments:

Post a Comment