Monday 1 November 2021

Safeguarding re-training

This morning, after breakast and vacuuming the carpets, I made an effort to get out of the house and walk, to make the most of a sunny morning. Leaving daily exercise till the afternoon often means in autumn and winter I end up walking in the dark for part of the time. I'm not concerned about safety after dark, but not benefiting from the optimum amount of daylight.

Clare had started chopping vegetable by the time I got back, and I took over cooking a sauce to go with pasta so she could get on with other things. Then after lunch, I did the new Church In Wales on-line basic safeguarding training. It's a slight improvement on what I did four years ago, using the Moodle on-line learning tool. It's one annoyance is the use of backing music over speech with subtitles that has a catchy pop beat. You can't switch that off if you find it distracting. A pity.

I needed a couple of tries to get 100% of the Q&A right as there were a couple of small points where I felt the correct answer was debatable. There's no discussion or feedback. This is a training in compliance, not thinking for yourself. Hopefully this comes later, in the stage two modules. Tomorrow afternoon I do the first part of stage two in a zoom session. I hope it works properly. I hate having to do these things on-line. Will we ever go back to making face to face meetings the default?

Then I produced an edit of yesterday's liturgy with just the pieces sun by the choir. With the prospect of a similar service for Advent Sunday, I researched on-line for suitable music to discuss before proposing a selection to Andrea at RWCMD. We received plan for an afternoon programme of live music by RWCMD students on 20th November, a special thank you for their use of St German's this term. Clare is delighted as it includes an 'AmserJazzTime' hour at the end.

After supper and the Archers in the evening we watched a new episode of NCIS together and then started the slow journey to get to bed a bit earlier, and benefit a bit appropriately from darkness

No comments:

Post a Comment