Wednesday 10 November 2021

Now we're covid passport holders

After downloading my digital covid passport last night, I heard the news that the Welsh Government has now made showing this pass a requirement of attending theatres and convert venues, as well as clubs. It came as a complete surprise, though it's understandable as the infection statistics in Wales aren't reducing as hoped for.  Clare set to work on registering to obtain hers after I returned from celebrating Mass at Saint German's this morning. Interestingly enough, confirmation of her verification by face recognition email  took six hours to arrive, whereas mine, yesterday evening took a matter of minutes.

I had a most disconcerting experience during Mass. When I began to read the collect and scriptures from the daily lectionary book, admittedly small print, my eyes wouldn't focus well enough to be able to read the text. It's the first time this has happened. I know I need bright light to read by, and generally speaking with the correct reading glassed can tackle small print. St German's is blessed with much natural light and with electric lights are more than enough for ordinary purposes. I haven't had this problem there before but this morning the sky was dark grey and the light levels low enough for my eyes not to work properly. 

It was a most distressing experience, which fortunately everyone took in their stride. It was something to do with the cataracts I am waiting to have dealt with I think. Anyway, Clare has come up with a small clip on LED light that can attach to the edge of a book cover and shine directly on the page. That should make a difference in future.

When I was trying to help Clare with her covid pass application, a realised there was a problem with her computer which she had noticed but put up with uncomplainingly hitherto. The window minimisation sequence seemed not to work. It seemed just to close a window instead. I searched the Linux Mint forum and discovered that the toolbar at the bottom of the page has lots more ways to configure than I have ever realised, and one of these is the facility to display minimised windows or not. It was switched off! As soon as a switched it on, a dozen minimised windows became visible and needed closing because redundant. It seems odd that something like that would be switched off by default.

We had a lovely salmon soup for lunch as Clare had bought a month's worth of fish at Ashton's to freeze. Then for supper we had some laver bread, with a slice of organic sourdough rye bread which I bought in Beanfreaks when I went to collect Clare's weekly order.

In the evening we watched 'The Repair Shop' and Scottish crimme 'Shetland' before bringing the day to an end. I'm wondering how it is going to be possible to curb the covid infection rate if vaccinations don't turn out to be the hoped for magic bullet. Social distancing is becoming a thing of the past and mask wearing even where obligatory seems more like optional. Breaking news tonight from COP26, where the USA and China, the world's top industrial polluters, have agreed to work in partnership on carbon reduction, though it is far to soon to understand how this will work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment