Thursday 18 November 2021

Pub conversion

I uploaded my Morning Prayer video just after Thought for the Day, then got up for breakfast. I was happy to sit in the congregation for the Eucharist at St John's - unusually, only four of us were there with Mother Frances. 

After the service I went and had a look around 'The Corporation', the Victorian pub/hotel on the corner of Canton Cross which has been redeveloped as a small indoor market for sole traders selling books clothes, cards, wine, Italian pastries. There's a bar at the centre of it all, and in the yard outdoors I believe there are street food stalls as well. 

It's been fitted out very simply, with each retail space apportioned off using the kind of heavy gauge steel mesh used in re-enforced concrete structures, clever as the spaces can by adjusted in size if needs be. It has an entrepreneurial hip style to it and is a splendid enhancement to the mix of small shops which still distinguishes Canton as an urban village.

Home then to cook lunch, and afterwards a walk in the park up to Llandaff weir and back. After an early supper we went to choir practice at St Catherine's. At the end I learned that the Advent Carol service for which we were rehearsing is to take place at five a week Sunday, which rules me out for singing as I have an Advent service to take at four over in St German's, so won't be able to do the final rehearsal or turn up on time. Ah well.

Another two part adaptation of a P D James novel in the Channel 5 series 'Dalgleish'. It's quite good, but I'd prefer a two hour movie on one night, rather than having to block time two nights in a row, as seems to be the fashion nowadays.



No comments:

Post a Comment