Monday 7 August 2023

Eisteddfod in Pontypridd next year!

A little warmer and sunnier today, but hardly high summer weather. Housework after breakfast, then I got to work on a biblical reflection for next week's Morning Prayer. Clare was visiting so I cooked lentils with veg and rice for lunch. An hour dozing in the chair afterwards, then I went for a walk in the park taking in the west bank woodland path, where I saw a Red Admiral, moving took quickly to photograph, but then a Speckled Wood butterfly, which settled long enough for me to take this picture.

I sat for a while on a bench by Blackweir bridge, to inspect my butterfly photos. I was joined by an older man dressed in hiking garb, carrying a rucksack. I thought his speech was slightly slurred when he noticed my camera and enquired about the picture I was looking at. Then he produced a bottle of South African Malbec wine, opened it and proceded to swig from it. We chatted about nature for a while, then parted company. Was he homeless? Or just lonely, consoling himself as he walked around from wherever he stayed? 

After supper, I spent a couple of hours reading 'La Sombra del Viento', occasionally glimpsing tonight's S4C National Eisteddfod programme on the Chairing of the Bard. Delighted to learn that next year's Eisteddfod is going to be held in Pontypridd, which is wonderful news, as we'll be able to travel there and back by train. By this time next year hopefully, electrification of the Taff Vale railway line will be complete and the new Metro trains will be running even more frequent services, as intended. Handling huge numbers of travellers for a major visitor event will be a quite a resilience test for upgraded rail infrastructure. Here's hoping it's a success.

Meanwhile, early bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment