Wednesday 2 August 2023

Night works

Rain in the night, on and off during the day. There were nine of us at the St Catherine's Eucharist. I bought a jar of apply and blackberry jam, and some big courgettes, and then to collect the organic veg bag for the week. The warm and wet summer is providing us with an abundance of good things to eat this year. Clare had cooked lunch by the time I returned, somewhat later than usual, as we were chatting so long in the hall over coffee while it rained. 

After lunch, I tried unsuccessfully to catch up on poor sleep, and ended up recording next week's Morning Prayer and Reflection, before going out to do the week's grocery shopping at the Co-op. Marc came after supper to discuss what he and Fran want in their ceremony of mutual life commitment. After he left I took the wedding service text, pruned it to its essential elements and secularised it as best I could to given them a head start in thinking about what they really want as they're not yet ready for marriage. I hope this works for them.

I went out for a breath of fresh air, walking in the dark after ten. Fortunately it was no longer raining Although I've been feeling better today, and not coughing nearly as much, my lungs aren't free of congestion. At least they aren't too sore. 

From a distance, Penhill Road alongside the park was traffic free. When I reached it, I discovered it was closed off for road resurfacing work likely to last for many hours during the night. Better than closing by day and causing commuter chaos all over west Cardiff. A tarmac spreading vehicle and road rollers  were busy down by the Half Way pub, at the start of the 500 metre stretch to be covered. I counted six forty tonne trucks loaded with tarmac materials positioned up the road toward the lights. A spectacular night scene with hardly anyone out watching the squad of men in hi-viz jackets and helmets about their nocturnal business. I imagine the worker were relieved it wasn't raining too.

 Glad I decided to walk that way, or I'd have missed it. A small visual treat before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment